Thursday, October 21, 2004

Bedskirt

Have you ever ironed a bedskirt?

I ironed a bedskirt last night. It was one of the most tedious things I have done in a great while. I took it out of the small package expecting a few creases where it had been folded, but found instead a very starchy fabric with enough wrinkles in it to occupy an entire night.

So my evening ends in sacrifice to an iron and a bedskirt, not to mention a slight extension of it being a wrestling match between my mattress and myself. Have you ever tried to take a full mattress with featherbed and sheets on top of it and stand it up by yourself? It's not as easy as you'd think. Then, after laying the bedskirt perfectly in place on your bed, you will try to put the mattress back where it belongs, only to find that you have to slide it back on, thus ruining the position of the bedskirt you just laid so carefully in place and returning a few of the original creases back to it's form in the process.

In thinking of ironing out those blasted creases in my bedskirt, I think of myself often trying to iron the creases in my life. I use cosmetics to mask blemishes on my face, clothing to cover my imperfect body, and masks of untruth to cover my prideful character. Then along comes some huge "mattress" of my life that needs moving, and everything gets out of place and wrinkled again, the ironing doing little good at all.

So what is it worth? Well I would have to say "What is it worth to YOU?" Are ironing out the creases important enough to stake your time on it? Your family? Your relationships?

Is it true that important values in our lives often suffer when we focus so closely on our own imperfections?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home