Thursday, July 29, 2004

Some things...

I've been wondering lately about those times when it's so easy for me to trust.  Maybe easy isn't the right word.  Trusting usually isn't easy for me.  It's those times I'm thinking of in which I pray so diligently and seek the face of God so fervently when making a serious decision -- times when I don't want to rely on my emotions or instincts when I have a large decision/problem/burden/issue in front of me.  These are the times when the prayer flows freely - almost as breath from my body, keeping me alive, moving the blood through my veins. 

Yet when it comes to some "other things", as the title suggests - maybe some things that aren't as big/lofty/hard to decide on - why then is the prayer less passionate?  Less diligent?  It's not as if I need those things less.  Perhaps I worry about them less?  Perhaps because they're not "so big" that my life depends on them? But should the size of the request be the point to determine the fervency of the prayer?

I think not.

Yet it is more times than not that I end up in the same circular prayer cycle:  find a really big issue to pray about... pray, pray, pray, pray, pray... see it come to completion (whether or not it ended up the way I wanted it)... have something else come up that I should pray about -- a friend, family member, financial situation, community circumstance -- and then just think about it a lot and pray a little.  Or pray a lot in one sitting and forget about it later.  Or not even pray about it at all. 

And isn't it interesting that to the ears of God, each request would be the same size, and each would be heard in the same fashion?  In my opinion, it's the fervency of our prayer that determines our level of communion with Him.  I think we'd all be surprised if we tried praying a bit more diligently about each thing that turns over in the corners of our minds each day... for there is surely spiritual reward for seeking the face of God in prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home