Monday, June 28, 2004

College and Crosswords

Sometimes I wonder if I learned enough in college...

I love crossword puzzles.

The mere fact that I can usually only answer about 15% of the questions fuels me to want to complete them even more. This morning I was thrilled to find that someone had left a weekend newspaper on my desk - obviously intended for the trash - and the crossword puzzle was one fresh, blank page, longing to be filled. Yet as I settled in to this comfy leather chair that has become my new home from 8:00-5:00, I found that my mind couldn't focus any further than 3 Across. What was my problem? I can get these answers! I furiously told myself... I can pull these words out of my head... especially with this undergraduate degree!

Nothing. Not even one answer. The page sits empty still, and it's 4:33 p.m.

Hrrmmm.

The verdict I have come up with is that something is clouding my mind... most likely this dynamic and ever-changing shoulder bag of emotions that I insist on carrying with me at all times of day. Since my last entry, I have flown across the country, participated in a close friend's wedding, laughed, received sad news, cried, changed time zones, rode in a horse-drawn carriage, and reunited with an old friend. I have been joyful and tearful, excited and fearful, quiet and content. When I arrived this morning, each of these feelings hit my heart as my comfy chair provoked me to contemplate my weekend. And each emotion still remains as I close the day, as if a piece of my heart were designated specifically for each one. And all these things kept me from thinking straight this morning? :) Maybe I was just sleepy.

It's amazing what introspection can take place when one attempts to complete a crossword puzzle...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home